Thursday, September 15, 2011

Cranky Pants

What causes someone to wake up on the wrong side of the bed? To reset an alarm at least five times before getting out of bed. To stand in the shower for at least ten minutes before realizing you have yet to wash your hair and oh man, you might be running out of time. 

What makes the day feel a little bit gray, even though you can see the sun and the clouds aren't too thick? What makes you angry at traffic even if you are in no rush to get where you are going?

When I coached swim team with my best friend, we spent the summer staying out until the wee morning hours and then showing up for early morning practices. 

Now, naturally, the morning and I do not get along well. If it were up to me, we would rarely meet. 

So, there were mornings where I was just a teensy bit snappy. So snappy in fact that the head coach had to separate the two of us because we would bicker so much. He would run practice as we were relegated to separate sides of the pool. 

One morning, my mood was just as black as can be. Bree was not in the mood to be separated, so she ran up behind me, poked me in the bum and yelled 

'craaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnkkkkkkkkkkkkkkyyyyyyyyyy pannnnnnnnnttttttttttssssssss' 

,,,in the most absurd voice. 

Needless to say, this was SO annoying to me. I had completely reached my breaking point. Here I was, and I had a choice to make. I could freak out and make a ridiculous scene, or I could laugh. 

Meanwhile, she continued with her little dance, and poked me repeatedly yelling 'cranky pants, cranky pants, Rebecca is a cranky pants'. 

So, I laughed. And laughed and laughed and laughed. 

Sometimes laughter is the only way to change the course of your day. That and maybe a meatball sub or some Ben & Jerrys...or both. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment!