Have you seen what is happening in Somalia? You can check it out here and here. As if living under the constant threat of terror under Al-Shabab isn't enough, these people are suffering from a dramatic famine, weather extremes, and constant threat of robbery, rape and death. My heart breaks for these women who cannot even relieve themselves or gather firewood without risking their bodies. Not to mention the fact that once they are raped, there is no method of recourse, and public shame associated with their pain.
Here in the U.S., not only am I largely sheltered from the threat of any sort of sexual harassment, I have major tools for recourse. Not only do I have food, but I complain about it being hard to buy food in small enough quantities, or it being hard not to eat too much. Not only do I have a home, but I have a home in a safe neighborhood with plenty of room to spare. If I got pregnant, I would have very little risk of complication and the best treatment from world renowned facilities if anything did go wrong. These women suffer terribly from small easily avoidable complications. The infant mortality rate is astronomical there. How is it that a Somali girl, born on the same day, in the same year as me, has no voice, no guaranteed safety, no guarantee of basic needs met, while I never even had to ask?!?
These women need advocates. They need protection.
This is where I feel called. This is why I am pursuing an education. This is why I am trying to take full advantage of the resources available to me, so that I will be capable of using my voice to speak for them.
For now, I will work hard to get to that place. Does anyone know of an organization that provides protection for Somali women? Here is what I've found so far.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for taking the time to comment!